Tuesday, September 12, 2006

September 11th 2006: A beautiful night...

I took a train from Washington D.C. to New York last night as I often do. It being September 11th and five years after the World Trade Center attacks I had one more reminder as the train headed to New York. After five years of traveling on Amtrak between Washington and New York I had gotten use to not seeing the World Trade Towers looming in lower Manhattan. But, last night they once again lit the powerful lights pointing straight up into the sky from where the two towers once stood. I have seen these lights before but, last night there was a cloud over the World Trade Center site. So instead of the lights fading off into the night sky they hit the cloud and illuminated it with a beautiful white glow. As the train traveled through the New Jersey meadowland it was quite majestic. I was thinking that I hope that the families who lost love ones in the towers where able to see the site because it might have given them some peace. It looked to me like heaven was being illuminated if only for one night and their loved ones might be looking down from the cloud.

No comments: