Sunday, November 20, 2005

Real Power!

I have spent the past few day working around the house picking up leaves and bringing back to life my solar hot water system. I had the panels installed in 1985 to provide hot water the house. It has two solar hat water panels on the roof and a photovoltaic panel that runs a pump that circulates the heat transfer fluid to the panels. It worked reliably for about ten years. After it stopped working I was too busy working and making a living to spend much time with it and since I was single and did not use that much hot water I let it go and went on with my life and distractions. Recently however the price of fuel and natural gas got me thinking about the system again.. I took a few days changed the fluid and got the pump running. It was a great feeling to feel the heat heading into the storage tank and see the return temperature still hitting 95 degrees on the temperature gauge. I plan to convert it to help provide heat to the house as my hot water needs are minimal. I plan on some more solar projects for the house. While Bush and Cheney and their cronies in the oil industry try to squeeze every bit of money they can out of the American consumer for next couple of years I plan to squeeze as much energy I can out of the sun. To me that is real power.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your solar power projects. I am considering a small system to power my computer gear.

I don't know what the price of gas is in your area but in southern Minnesota it has been dropping for about two weeks. It's now around $1.96/gal. I like to think that this is because of the recent hearings on record oil profits but I don't know.

I would like to recommend a blog to you that I recently found, If I may be so bold. It's right up your political alley. It's called Buridan's Ass.