Friday, June 29, 2007

Sense in the Senate

Well I am back connected online and about to head back to Washington after a few days staring at the ocean waves in Eastern Long Island. There is a lot to blog about but, I guess the only thing I can say is that I feel relieved that our democracy is still working despite the attempt by George Bush and the "Grand Bargainers" aka The gang of 12 Senators (Kennedy,McCain,Reid,Menendez,Spector,Graham etc...)who with their backroom deal attempted to railroad the Illegal Immigration amnesty bill through the Senate several times. I get livid when I hear the corporate mainstream media say opposition to the amnesty bill this was driven by conservative talk radio. I NEVER listen to talk radio and don't take my marching orders from the likes of Rush Limbaugh or any other hosts. My opposition to the bill's amnesty provision was based on common sense and the track record of the Federal Government following the 1986 amnesty bill which has created the situation we now have in the country. Doing another amnesty like that proposed in this Senate Immigration bill and expecting different results is by definition insanity! Luckily, there were some sane Senators who where able to stop this bill. I will be making calls to their offices to thank them. I have already called Senator Chambliss to thank him for his attention and pointing out all the loopholes in the Bill. Here is a complete list of the heroes of the Senate who bucked the business and pro-illegal immigration lobbyist who wanted to ram this bad bill down the throats of the American people:

Alexander (R-TN),Allard (R-CO), Barrasso (R-WY),Baucus (D-MT),Bayh (D-IN),Bingaman (D-NM),Bond (R-MO),Brown (D-OH),Brownback (R-KS),Bunning (R-KY),Burr (R-NC),Byrd (D-WV),Chambliss (R-GA),Coburn (R-OK),Cochran (R-MS),Coleman (R-MN),Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN),Cornyn (R-TX),Crapo (R-ID),DeMint (R-SC),Dole (R-NC),Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND),Ensign (R-NV),Enzi (R-WY),Grassley (R-IA),Harkin (D-IA),Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX),Inhofe (R-OK),Isakson (R-GA),Landrieu (D-LA),McCaskill (D-MO)
McConnell (R-KY),Murkowski (R-AK),Nelson (D-NE),Pryor (D-AR),Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV),Sanders (I-VT),Sessions (R-AL),Shelby (R-AL),Smith (R-OR)
Stabenow (D-MI),Stevens (R-AK),Sununu (R-NH),Tester (D-MT),Thune (R-SD),Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH),Warner (R-VA),Webb (D-VA)

We all owe them a call and a thank you for doing the right thing by the American people. The Senate switchboard number is 202 224-3121
While this was a great victory for our Democracy and the people of the country. I still am keeping "I love secure borders" bumper sticker on my car. Because as Senator Kennedy threatened "we'll be back" We know that Senator and we will be ready!

2 comments:

Kerthialfad said...

Noticed how the candidates voted. All for the amnesty, except BrownBack.

Anonymous said...

Kerthialfad;
I knew McCain would vote that way. That's also why he's toast as a candidate. I was very dissapointed in my Senator (Clinton) but, as we all know the Dems running for President are pandering for votes as opposed to doing what is in the best for the country. Which does not make me want to vote for any of them who took part in the Senate vote.