Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Teach your children well?

I woke up at 5 am to a commercial on WCBS Newsradio New York from the "Long Island Teachers" about why it was important to pass the school budget. Teachers and their union just don't get it. Probably because they have never worked in the business sector since they graduated college. Somehow this commercial equates passing a school budget with good teaching. I think the school administrators, teachers and their unions need to wake up and smell the coffee and outrage from the local taxpayers.
Being single I am particularly sensitive to the school budget. School taxes being the biggest part of peoples local tax bill. I don't mind paying taxes to help educate the neighborhood kids but, I don't like paying more than I have too. Case in point: New York State Law requires school districts to provide transportation to parochial school children up to 15 miles. My district transports students to religious schools 20 miles away. And they wonder why I vote no on the school budget.

No comments: