Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The 12 deaths of Christmas

I was driving back from Fairfax Virginia last night after having a Christmas dinner at a friends house. Listening to WTOP Washington's all news station the news came that 12 U.S. soldiers had died over the weekend in Iraq. News items such as this hardly prominent in newscasts anymore the numbers are just another news items. But, for me it I always get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as hear such news. I think of the soldiers who died and the families they leave behind.
I think the following quote from an Iraqi citizen sums up the feelings of many of us.

"I hope next year will bring good things and unite all Iraqis because there is no difference between Christians and Muslims," said Abu Fadi, a worshipper who does not use his Christian name because he fears for his safety. "May God bring relief from this."

Meanwhile, today the Washington Post reports the amount of U.S. soldiers deaths has exceeded the amount of deaths from the 911 attacks. Which makes me wonder how much is enough?

No comments: