Saturday, December 01, 2007

Bobby Van the man.

Bobby Van Velsor has died. He at one time owned the Booby Van's restaurant that was once a literary watering hole in Bridgehampton to the likes of Kurt Vonnegut, Truman Capote, Willie Morris and also the wealthy denizens of the area. He sold the restaurant back in the eighties and wanted to get back to his classical music career. At the time of his death he was driving a cab because he liked the flexible hours. Here is the money quote from the New York Times obit:
"In an interview with The New York Times in 1987, Mr. Van talked about his gradual disenchantment with the saloon business and his desire to reclaim a classical music career.
“I’m still not sure about what I want to do,” he said. “I know what I don’t want, and that’s to return to playing in cafe society. I don’t enjoy it. I don’t want to have to mix my music with that clamor and din. I don’t want to share the spotlight anymore with people eating and talking.”

No comments: