Saturday, April 23, 2005

Hats off to St. Christopher.

The news that the "high speed" Amtrak ACELA trains were pulled from service was good news for some travelers including yours truly. On Tuesday I had crossed the Mason Dixon Line on the Amtrak Crescent having left New Orleans the day before.
Traveling on a long distance train like the Crescent one expects there to be delays. I was concerned because in addition to a suitcase and duffel bag I had about 60 lbs of research documents that I would have to carry off the train and onto the Long Island railroad (the nations busiest commuter railroad). The Crescent was scheduled to arrive about 1:50 pm. I was hoping but doubted I would get my suitcase from baggage claim fast enough to make a 2:14 pm train to Ronkonkoma Long Island. Anything later and I'd be on increasingly crowded rush hour trains filled with office and construction workers heading home and it would be difficult to find room for all my baggage once the train started to load.
Thanks to the ACELA's cancellation the Amtrak Crescent had a clear track from Washington to New York and arrived an hour early allowing me plenty of time to get my baggage and make my train connection. Sometimes the travel Gods shine on those who ride the regular trains and the lobbists and politicos who use the ACELA were prevented from doing more damage to the country if only temporarily. At least I'd like to think so.

No comments: