Monday, October 01, 2007

Greening our schools with green from our wallets?

I spend much as much of my time as I can during the summer on a sailboat in the waters around Long Island. I am very much involved and aware of the natural surroundings and live with a small footprint and green with my solar panels, no air conditioning etc...but I am still able to enjoy a cold beer. When I am forced back to land I continue to keep my lifestyle the same. The solar panels that were on the boat are taken down and used to drive fans that pump solar heated air around the house. Helping my personal energy policy know as SST (starving the Saudis and Texans) it is working pretty good and every year I improve on my efficiency.
While I do practice energy efficiency in my daily life as much as possible. I am a little suspect of the recent buzz about "greening our schools". I am suspect about organizations that have as an action plan "Form a committee". Pretty soon all kinds of organizations and businesses are piling on spending money for the sake of "going green". Saving energy in homes and schools often does not require alot of money especially taxpayers money which seems is easier to spend for those in school districts than their own. As I move back on land I will be posting on this blog some of the things I do around Rancho BCP to save energy and money. They are not expensive and do help to save money, energy and the planet and you don't need to join a committee to do them.

No comments: