Friday, January 20, 2006

DC Corners

I spent several hours yesterday at the National Archives here in Washington. I was trying to find the date and on what ship a wiry French explosives engineer arrived in New York in October 1849. This research is for a book and documentary I've been working on for awhile now. After a few hours of eyestrain looking at microfilmed passenger lists I finally found the info I came for and called it a day.
I walked outside and sat on a bench facing the winter sun soaking up a few rays to prevent any occurrence of SAD (Seasonal Acquired Depression). When I opened my eyes I noticed in front of me a retangular slab of granite located on a patch of grass and trees just outside the National Archives. This was the memorial to President Franklin Delanore Roosevelt. Just a desk sized piece of granite with the words "In memory of..." Simple and plain and just what he wanted and where he wanted it. I must have walked by it a number of times and never noticed it until now.
Walking across the street to an ATM machine on the corner. I saw that FBI Headquarters is just across the street. I never noticed that too. I got my cash from the ATM and bought some Hot Dogs from a street vendor. Heading over toward a nearby bench to eat I looked up and saw I was sitting in front of Signatures restaurant. Signatures is the restaurant that is now the part of the focus of the Jack Abramoff corruption scandal. I sat down and thought of the irony of the cash machine located in the same building as the restaurant involved with the congressional money scandal located across from FBI headquarters. There is a lot of history on the corners of DC. You just need to look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Email check