Saturday, January 28, 2006

Thinking about the Challenger disaster.

Back in the late seventies I was working for a subcontracter of Rockwell that had the contract to build the Space Shuttles. My company was involved with some of the onboard communications electronics systems. I spent many hours testing and making sure all the devices worked properly including some over nights where we shook and temperature cycled the units in testing laboratories I left the job in 1979. But with each shuttle launch I felt a feeling of pride knowing that I did everything to make sure the devices I worked on were the best they could possibly be.

Fast forward to 1986 Ronald Reagan is in the Whitehouse and privitzation was all the rage and NASA was under pressure to have an ambitious launch schedule. There was pressure to have the shuttle in space with the first teacher for President Regans State of the Union speech. Add all that up and you have the Challenger disaster. There were some heros that day in 1986 they are the engineers who tried to stop the launch and you can read about them here.

No comments: