Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Boeing 787 Dreamliner or nightmare?

For the second week in a row I've watched the mainstream media stoke up the hype machine for another U.S. corporation. Last week it was Apple's Iphone. I think the I stands for idiot especially those that stood on line for three days waiting to buy it. Yesterday the mainstream media hype machine was gaga over the new Boeing 787 Dream liner plane. But, like the run up to the Iraq war the mainstream media is not asking some tough questions about the new "green" airliner. From watching the reports one of the things that makes the 787 so green and efficient is that it's body is made of a light weight carbon fiber composite. This worries me. From my reading about carbon fiber for use in sailboats carbon fiber is light and strong. But, it must be protected fron UV rays from the sun. That's not a problem because the carbon fiber is usually coated with a protective plastic but this covering can also hide cracks and fractures underneath. Carbon fiber also has a nasty habit of shattering when struck by lightning. On a sailboat this would mean it's time to turn on the engine. On an airplane flying at thirty thousand feet it could be a disaster. But. It does not even have to be that high for carbon fiber to show it's dark side when it comes to failures. Remember this crash of a plane with a carbon fiber tail? Maybe the engineers at Boeing have solved some of carbon fibers problems. All I know is I won't sleep easy on a Dreamliner until has a fairly good track record.

2 comments:

Kerthialfad said...

I wonder what is the raw material for carbon fiber. I imagine there a bunch of different glue, plastic, and resin products. Is petroleum used heavily to make the dreamliner materials?

Anonymous said...

kerthifad:
I'm not sure of the petroleum content of the carbon fiber. The base material seems cery similar to fiberglass. But, I know that aluminum body of conventional planes can be recycled fairly easily. I have not heard about carbon fiber being recycled.