Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The end of the road...

I got off the Long Island Railroad train in Ronkonkoma the other night returning from Washington D.C. and got into my 1986 subcompact car. The car has been a reliable economical workhorse for me. I had only traveled about a mile when I made a turn and the car stalled. Thinking my luck had run out and that perhaps I had finally gone too far in not putting enough gas in the tank. Well, that was not the problem. So the car was towed. It looks like the end of the line for this vehicle reliable though it was. Parts were increasingly harder to get and as Neil Young said "rust never sleeps" So I'm off to buy a new car this morning. If it is a reliable and lasts as long as the Mazada it may be the last car I buy or own. The new car will have airbags and not just seat belts a it will be safer perhaps a little more economical. Still there is a bit of sadness in letting the car that has carried me around for over twenty years go.

No comments: