Sunday, May 28, 2006

A Memorial weekend phone call from a veteran.

I found a message on my cell phone from Jacques. I had not spoken from him in over a year but, I'm always glad to hear from him. We met on the waterfront in New York almost ten years ago when I was living on a boat in the west side of Manhattan. Jaques despite his French name is an Italinophile and speaks fluent Italian. I never asked why he was in love with all things Italian. But, I suspect it may have something to do with his war experiences. Jacques was part of the Tenth Mountian Division during World War Two and propably spent alot of time in the Italian Alps though like many WWII veterans he does not talk of there experiences. Jaques must be in his eighties but, still sounded sharp as a tack,
He mentioned that he usually spends Memorial Day along with his fellow veterans on the Intrepid aircraft carrier watching the Air Show and other military manoevers. But, because of the war in Iraq he just does feel like celebrating that way this year. I could hear the anguish in his voice as this veteran thought of our soldiers and the people in Iraq and how what a mess it was. I was glad to hear from Jacque and had to agree with him as we thought about soldiers that are currently in the hell hole that is Iraq and we both hoped they got back before too many more of their lives were lost.

No comments: