Saturday, April 14, 2007

Al Roker: Lying, delusional or hypocrite.

Al Roker the Today Show Weatherman whose talk with NBC News Executive Steve Capus was a major reason for the firing of Don Imus from MSNBC. Made some remarks in the official NBC blog for the Today Show like:

"And by the way, for all those people who posit that the phrase is rooted in the black community, it is not. My childhood neighborhood of St. Albans, Queens, is a middle-class neighborhood. People keep their homes neat and their lawns mowed. I never heard the word "ho" in my neighborhood or in my parents' home."- Al Roker

I too never heard the word "ho" in my neighborhood or in my home when I was growing up either . But, I did and do hear it on black rap and hip hop music coming on BET, MTV and urban radio stations all over the place. Al Roker is saying he never heard the word. He is either lying or really does not pay attention to what is going on in black communities all over the country. So IMUS gets fired because he said something that yes was insensitive but it also showed he was more in tune with black culture than Al Roker.

"But just as he wants to be judged on what he does, he must also be judged on what he says and what he has said, both on and off the air."

But Roker himself is not above using race for a laugh on the Today Show. For example when he was doing a cooking segment that used artichokes. The cook mentioned that when you take off the artichoke leaves, you rub the bottoms with lemon so they don't turn black.

"You might even want to rub lemon on your hands so the black doesn't get on them either," he said.
"Well, it's a little too late for me, but..." Roker shot back"


Oh, I get it Al! You are black. Should I laugh? Or should you be fired too!

-

No comments: