Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Some fines are fine but, not the tears.




I went to the F.A.I.R fundraiser for the Texas Three at the Phoenix Hotel. The fundraiser was to raise money for the legal costs and families of imprisoned Border Patrol Agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean and Rocksprings deputy sheriff Gilmar Hernan. There was one lone protester across the street from the hotel holding a sign. Complaining that one of the amnesty proposals required that illegal immigrants pay a fine of $10,000 to make themselves legal in the U.S. He said that was too much. So I went over to him and reminded him that the $10,000 was less than it cost taxpayers to educate ONE child in a public school for one year.
I then went into the room where people had gathered for the fundraiser. Where we heard from the wives of the three men now imprisoned. It was quite emotional. I believe I saw Congressman Dana Rorbacher off to the side shedding a tear as one of the imprisoned border patrol agents wives read a letter from her husband to the crowd. Whoever said Republicans don't cry.

No comments: